Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tim Rickett

In Fort Collins, we met Tim Rickett. We arrived in Fort Collins on June 25, and Tim joined us for breakfast the following morning.

Five years ago, Tim was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer. At 10:30 pm the night before we met him, Tim learned that he had 100% remission from his illness. Tim attributes his success to two reasons: 1) MD Anderson and 2) his daughter, who he wanted to see graduate from high school. Since our fundraising supports MD Anderson, Tim was especially excited about Texas 4000 and its mission.

Tim's case is extremely rare. Most pancreative cancer patients die from their condition within a few months of their diagnosis. It makes me think that a lot of one's struggle with cancer has to do with one's determination to live.

I wonder what went through my mom's mind as she struggled with brain cancer and whether she gave in to her condition. A part of me wants to think that the cancer was too strong for her, but a part of me also thinks that she was simply tired of fighting.

My dad believes that chemotherapy kills people faster than does the cancer, and I think he's right. Maybe Mom really was tired of fighting, but I don't know. I think back on our last moments together and wish that I had asked Mom more questions or had taken more time to listen to her. Maybe I was too young to realize the gravity of Mom's sickness. I think, had I been able to grasp the concept of cancer and of death, maybe our fight would have been different. Maybe it would have been successful.

I think about Tim's daughter and am glad that he had such a strong inspiration to go on with his fight. Since I can't change the past and the path of my mom's struggle, riding with Texas 4000 gives me hope that those who are still fighting might have simlar success.

2 comments:

1 said...

You have a good heart, Kat.

I hope y'all have time for some good old Texas style BBQ for the 4th of July!

Anonymous said...

i can just picture you squirming while the chiropractor tried to fix you up! that's hilarious :)